The Adopt-A-Street Program is designed to promote a volunteer spirit and instill pride in the City of Poplar Bluff.
The Adopt-A-Street Program is designed to promote a volunteer spirit and instill pride in the City of Poplar Bluff. It allows citizens, organizations and church or civic clubs to work with the City by adopting a segment of a roadway and agreeing to keep it clean. This offers a way for people and organizations in the community to work together while making Poplar Bluff a better place to live and receive publicity for their contribution.
The City of Poplar will provide trash bags for the cleanup events and pick up the full bags left along the route. A sign displaying the individual or organizations name will be installed after two consecutive pickups have been completed by the individual or organization. The sign may be removed following two consecutive periods of no activity as specified in the application.
How Can You Get Started?
To become a volunteer and help your community you must complete an application which is available by clicking here or you can pick up one at City Hall, 501 Vine Street. Once completed you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off at City Hall. If you have any questions or need more information, contact the Street Department at 573-686-8646. Their office will contact you once the application is approved.
- An application form shall be completed and signed by the requesting individual or organization.
- The program applies to City of Poplar Bluff streets and the right-of-way where a city maintained street or alley is located.
- The City of Poplar Bluff will provide trash bags to the requesting individual or organization.
- A minimum number of cleanup activities must be at least once every quarter. A minimum of 4 blocks to care for and improve the appearance on both sides of the road.
- The requesting individual or organization shall contact the Poplar Bluff Street Department at 686-8646 to arrange for pickup of trash bags along the street (each time after pickup). The City will provide trash bag pickup within one business day after notification and track the participant’s participation and progress.
- A sign displaying the individual or organization name may be installed after two consecutive pickups have been completed by the requesting organization. The sign may be removed following two consecutive periods of no activity.
- The requesting individual or organizations’ official name will be placed on the sign along with standard “Adopt-A-Street” wording. No lewd or suggestive acronyms or wording will be permitted on public signs. The number of words will be limited to the standard size of the “Adopt-A-Street” sign.
- The individual or organization contact person shall be kept up to date as changes occur. Failure to do this may mean cancellation of the application and removal of the sign.
Safety Rules are important to protect the participants during cleanup events.
- Safety vests must be worn at all times while picking up trash
- Placing a “Volunteer Litter Crew Ahead” warning sign facing traffic ahead of the work area.
- Cleaning only one side of the road at a time and facing oncoming traffic.
- No headphones allowed while working
- Wearing appropriate clothing, namely pants, thick-soled shoes or boots and gloves.
- Performing cleanup activities during daylight hours and when weather has good visibility
Although most streets are available for cleanup, below are some of the most visible streets.